Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2015

TV Breakdown: The Closer and Major Crimes


Fun little fact about me: if there's a crime show on tv, I've probably seen at least one episode. I'm kind of addicted to crime shows, its an actual problem, which is why I've spent the past week and a half marathoning all seven seasons of The Closer and three seasons of Major Crimes.

The Closer premiered on TNT in 2005, and its last episode aired in 2012, and thats when Major Crimes, the show's spin-off, started airing. Both shows are about the LAPD's fictional Major Crimes division, which deals with high profile homicides.

What I loved about these two shows is that they actively delt with issues we all know. Race, sexual identity, gender identity, gangs, terrorism, were all on the forefront in several episodes, and one of Major Crime's episodes about a transgender 13 year old who was killed actually made me tear up.

Both shows have a female in charge, The Closer having Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson, and Major Crimes having Captain Sharon Raydor. The cast is also diverse, as you can see above, which is also a great thing to see on television, especially in a time where POC casting is a large issue.

Overall, I really, really loved watching these shows. they were fast paced, had just the right amount of personal drama, and is continuing to keep me hooked, as Major Crimes moves into its fourth season (which is why I marathoned).

Major Crimes airs Mondays at 9/8c on TNT.

PS. Friday & Sunday won't have the usually scheduled posts: I'll be attending Florida Supercon, and Tuesday will feature my recap on that experience!

No comments

Post a Comment